First, a photo of the hill/woods outside my door. It’s hard to believe that three weeks ago I took this photo when the leaves had finally just popped out on some little shrubs/small trees outside my door on the hill but the mature trees had no leaves yet. Only the hearty weeds/natives had started to appear on as the ground cover, and the vines on the fence next to the “condemned” birdhouse are bare. (The bird house with the hole in the roof, tilted, etc., is stuck in the chain link fence and I cannot get it out. I have seen birds around it so someone may have taken up residence so I will wait till fall to take a hammer to it to see if I can get it loose). Anyway, last fall the owners of that land on the other side of the fence trimmed out several trees that were leaning precariously towards the apartment building so this year there was lots more sun getting to the ground cover as you can see by all the shrubs and scrub trees etc in the second photo.
This photo I took today – you can’t see much of the hill, let alone the crest of it since it’s all lushly filled in. And the birdhouse is being camouflaged by the vines on the fence. All that rain has been good for something I guess. And yes -it’s blooming season for those stinky purple flowers so I haven’t been able to open my door on the nice days because of my allergies to those flowers. Luckily they won’t last long.
Had breakfast out with a friend and now, after doing a bit of laundry, I will see what I can get up to. I do have a couple items that are ready to be framed, but we shall see. I’m actually not feeling real ambitious since I could not sleep last night. But I may (or may not) get to some baking – I’ve been hungry for quiche again and there happens to be asparagus and diced ham in the fridge and asparagus quiche is my favorite. And I keep threatening to make some banana bread – those random bananas scattered in my freezer need to get used so may do that tomorrow since I need to go take some butter out of the freezer for that. But all that rambling aside, here’s where I left off on my patriotic stitch last night.
The eagle’s head shows up a bit better in person but I may go in an back stitch it later. Eagle, flag, flower / flower pot done and started on door to house. I’m hoping to get this finished today.
Last night I also pulled the flosses and found the fabric for my Cross Stitch Camp project for the June Challenge. (Remember you can find all the info for summer Cross Stitch Camp at ColoradoCrossstitcher website or in her last flosstube.) So for the June Challenge of a holiday-themed project, I have finally (yes not changing my mind again) decided to stitch Winter Bird by SubRosa. I changed three of the colors from the called-for since I didn’t have them but the colors are similar. I’ll be stitching it on 20 ct Peppercorn by Colour and Cotton which will make the stitching area about 5.125″ x 4.25″. Got the floss on Camp floss drops, grabbed a project bag and I’m all set to start this on June 1.
And my Three Things Sampler chart and floss arrived. I’ll be stitching this along with Judy starting on New Year’s Eve Eve (NYE is on a Saturday – why wait till Saturday when you can start it Friday night to kick off the New Year’s weekend). We’d love to have you stitch along with us on it if anyone is interested.
Eventually I will get the DMC on floss drops but I’ll be using called-for colors, stitching on 20 ct Colour and Cotton in the color Salt Rock which is a very pretty pale gray that I think all the colors will show up nicely on. The stitched area would be 13.125″ x 18″ if I stitch the whole thing. I do plan to remove a section or two or three or maybe move into a different order. This chart lends itself to stitching only certain areas so there’s all kinds of possibilities. I know there’s one section I don’t particularly care for and will decide on the other two as I go along. But this has all gone into a project bag for now. I do plan to make an enlarged working copy of the pages so that the symbols are easier to read at some point.
Also, if you have previously gotten this chart at some point but not yet stitched it, my copy of the chart came with an errata page for the top border called “Correction to top border” with just the top border reprinted on it. Not sure when the correction was made as it doesn’t have a date. It says “alternate upright flowers are worked in 926 and 927”. On the original chart border the symbols are wrong for the alternating upright flowers – they are charted as all the blue flowers using the darker colors but if you look at the chart photo, two of them use lighter shades of blue so even if you don’t have the corrected chart, you can just substitute 926 and 927 for the darker colors in those two flowers by looking at the chart image for placement.
Okay enough rambling from me for now. The sunshine of this morning – well that’s a thing of the past. It’s raining and thundering now – so much for that sunny photo of the woods I took this morning.