I did a bit of tweaking on the dinosaur quilt I want to make. Made the block size smaller, added more blocks so I could get a total of three of the large stars (the ones with the dark blue pieced centers and large green star points) into the design rather than two which makes it look more balanced.
I also replaced the background fabric with a solid or tone on tone rather than the little palm tree print which appears in some of the four-patch blocks. That change also made the green star points pop more and overall less busy look. I haven’t compared the EQ8 yardage numbers to the yardage I actually bought but I think I should have enough once I find a background fabric in the stash. Also, since I made the dino applique larger on this versionk, the fat quarter of that color I ordered won’t be large enough but I’m sure I can find something in the stash for that.
As I was looking a some projects on Ravelry a week or more ago, I came across several that were using this unusual yarn. The yarn is called My Melodyy and it comes in lovely gradient colors that you can have caked light to dark or dark to light – your preference – and use multiple strands that are arranged to get the gradient look. It’s also “multiple wrapped” yarn which means it’s not twisted and plied and the separate strands all lay next to each other.
I ordered two different colors in two different yardage amounts – both of them have one metallic strand in them to add a bit of glitz. There’s a small charm tied on the end of the center pull strands.
Most of the projects I’ve seen using this yarn have been crocheted – don’t know if that means it’s difficult to knit with or since it’s a yarn I got from Sweden that crochet is more prevalent in certain areas or if the yarn company’s target audience is crocheters but I’m going to try knitting with it first and see what happens – once I decide what I want to make with it. The yarn itself doesn’t really seem expensive to me but shipping can be, so this was my splurge and not a yarn I’ll likely use after I use these two cakes, but I couldn’t resist since it looked so interesting.
My plan for the bottom cake is to make an Allira Shawl by Ambah.