For those of you who don’t know – steeking a knitting project is knitting something and then cutting it apart. A scarey thing! If it doesn’t work right you can ruin the whole project. For one of my Loopy Great Knitting Challenge projects – my Showstopper Challenge – I decided I wanted to knit a pooling scarf. Using what I learned from the DaVinci Cowl pattern, I made a huge loop of a cowl knit in the round. This was it in progress.
Here it is when off the needles – it immediately curled into a tube. It’s all stockinette stitch with no edging on it. After steeking I planned to add some edging stitches.
So after setting it aside for a while I finally decided last night was the night to figure out the steek and get it done. Isn’t this gorgeous Wollmeise yarn – I just love the colors in it.
So I basically followed the steeking instructions from this Tin Can Knits blog post. Very clear instructions and great photo tutorial.
Got the two columns crocheted, grabbed my scissors and snip….snip…. snip…. and it wasn’t so scary after all.
I started adding the edging last night. I decided to crochet the edging so in the photo above – the lower edge has a row of single crochets worked in each edge stitch and then a row of double crochet. I’m in the process of adding the same two rows along the top edge and then will decide if want to make it wider or not. I may also add some fringe along the short ends. The upper left edge of the scarf shows the wrong side and you can see a bit of a hem along the short edge where the steek is whip stitched to the back of the scarf. It takes a long time to add the edging – there’s a whole lot of stitches along the length but it’s easy crocheting.
I also finished another pair of fingerless mitts. I really like Malabrigo Chunky yarn and this Milonga colorway is probably my most favorite. I made a prior hat for my great niece out of this yarn previously and now these mitts — both projects gifts so I may need to get more so I can make myself something from it.
These are the same as the other pairs I’ve been working on – from the free pattern Cozy Fingerless Gloves. I also have a red pair that I just need to seam and cast on another pair last night – I think having a few of these in the “gift closet” for last minute giving is a great idea so pulled out this yarn – another gorgeous colorway.
And did you notice there is the slightest dusting of snow in the last two photos — while the southern part of the country got freaky snowfalls, this is all the snow we got yesterday. It’s pretty much all gone today but I’m not complaining. Hmmm.. just noticed my birdhouse appears to have been the victim of an earthquake (okay the very high winds or squirrel messing with it) so I need to go out and tighten that up in the fence.
The year is winding to a close so I need to finish off all those projects for the various Loopy Challenges and ESK Yarnathon to get them submitted.
I also was busy working on a quilt design for Hoffman Fabrics. One of my favorite “retired” designs – Snow Birds (shown below) – is going to make a new appearance next year updated with some brand new fabrics (the image below is from 2013) so I spent some time this weekend playing with the fabric images to update this design.
I have a version of this design on my living room wall (non holiday fabrics) and have been wanting to make a holiday fabric version so perhaps this might make a good QAL project for next year.