The first row of houses

or the bottom row of houses as they appear in the Hillside Houses quilt pattern.


These are easy houses to make – they just take a bit of thought since I’m planning color placement as I go and not figuring everything out ahead of time. It will definitely be a bright hillside of houses – that’s for sure.  So since  part of the next row of houses above the blue, pink and green houses show at the top edges of the block, I had to stop and decide what fabrics I’ll use for that row.    It actually takes longer to decide on fabric and cut them than it does to stitch them.

The Craftsy pattern has three different sizes to make the project in so I decided to go with the largest size.  The blocks in this bottom row are 20″ square so it will be a very nice size lap quilt / large wall hanging.



Decision made

After spreading out all the KF fabrics I had gotten and the solids – tho I like the bright colors, I don’t think I’ll use them for the wedding quilt. They are one of those fabric lines that aren’t to everyone’s tastes.   Plus I have a hard time doing scrappy  in a large quilt so these fabrics would probably drive me nuts. I can however do batiks more scrappy in larger projects since I’ve never met a batik I didn’t love.

So after spreading out the KF fabrics and solids I got to use with them that I have so far – here they are…


I decided I’d keep them for a project that I originally had planned to use KF fabrics on.  That’s the reason I never get any sewing done – I keep changing my mind about things. 🙂

Anyway – before contemplating using the KF fabrics for the wedding quilt, my plan was to use them for a lap quilt/wallhanging I’ve been wanting to make for a while.   I was given this piece by a quilting friend..


I love these colors in the house – they are a bit lighter than the image and I think of them as the “sherbert” houses – that’s what they remind me of.  Shortly after receiving this fabric, I came across a free pattern on Craftsy for Hillside Houses.


So my plan is to use the fabrics laid out above to make this project.  So now that I’ve got the KF fabric and what I’ll use them for sorted out, on to other things.

I’ve gotten emails asking about the first pattern I showed for the wedding quilt.  It’s based on a marble floor I saw in my travels.   No I won’t be writing up the pattern to share – not enough time to write up every pattern someone asks for as I’m sure you can appreciate.  But you can get a pattern for a smaller version – again on Craftsy – it looks like the same basic piecing as mine so you could easily use that to make the designs I did in EQ – it’s all about color placement or on point blocks.

kal  I love the bright modern fabrics used in that verison.

So the Hole in the Barn Door design will be a wedding quilt, in batiks and I ordered this fabric for the background.

wqI did move around a few of the blocks from the placement they were in in  the original drawing – to make it easier to piece into larger sections as block are joined, so I think this is what the layout will look like – I plugged some random batiks in just for fun.  Yep, I think I’m going to like working this up in lots of different batiks.



Knitting progress


I forgot to do the Friday on the needles post.  The back of the pink sweater is about half done but I didn’t take a photo of it.

Last night I was working on the slate sweater.  Back and one front are done – finished off the right front of the sweater last night.  That’s the side that is just plain slate.  Cast on the left front last night – the side that will have stripes of five or six different colors going up the front with the stripes being four rows wide and separated by four slate rows.

Of the colors in the image below, I have dropped out the darkest brown color on the left and think I will just go with stripes of the other five colors.  The order will be red, blue, brown, green, yellow.


Thanks for all the comments on the quilt images I posted yesterday.  I’m still undecided what I will actually do (although I may make that design as as a smaller project or maybe keep it for the second wedding quilt I need to do).

I keep going back to the original design I had drawn with the first wedding in mind.    Their wedding reception is going to be held  at a place where the main hall is a renovated old barn.    So with that in mind I had drawn up this random mix of different sizes of “Hole in the Barn Door” blocks which I think would be fun to make.