So here’s the Short Stack I started with, along with one fabric I could add for the challenge which is the solid dark mushroom color.
And after my applique and adding of borders, here’s what’s left of that Short Stack…… just scraps for the trash.
Here’s what I have so far on the design wall with the light border section added to the right and top. I used nearly every single scrap of the fabric used in the wings — that one is my favorite out of the group.
I could end it like this, or I could add a final fabric border like in the second photo of the blue fabric which is only used in the eyes/eyelids.
I leave it up on the design wall for a while and decide later what I want to do but I think I may leave the blue off.
Can’t believe it’s already headed toward dinner time — need to clean up my mess but want to cut the binding strips first so that I don’t accidentally grab that fabric and use it for something else!
Then I’m definitely going to find a quilt to get comfy under while I spend the evening knitting. It just does not want to stay warm in here even tho the heat is turn up quite a bit from my usual 60 degrees or so.
I did go a bit crazy on my knitting last night. I wrote down the number of repeats I needed to do of a decrease sequence so I could mark each one off as I completed it and even tho it was right there in black and white to repeat 12 times, I had just finished repeat 14 when I realized I had written down too many to do. No idea how I managed to add two extra repeats when I wrote it down – but actually I needed part of the 13th repeat so only had to rip back about 6 rows which I fixed this morning.
Time to tidy the sewing stuff and stick it back in the sewing room and close that door to keep the cold air in there! and not in my living room. 🙂
Plain borders added, flying geese added to two sides. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with the other two sides since my leftovers from the Short Stack are dwindling. I may just add a strip to the other two sides of the light fabric used for around the eyes. I think it needs a lighter color on the other two sides to balance the colors or I may leave as is – time for a coffee break to contemplate my scraps and see what I can do with the last of them.
I was looking through the photos on the Justquiltin Flickr group and when I got to friend Janet P’s version of Percy Penguin – I realized my Percy, which is one I actually finished – was hanging in the closet! This is perfect Percy weather so I pulled him out of the closet into the light of day. He would love the minus 12 temps – me, not so much! 🙂
He needs a hanging sleeve – or he may go to the office since there’s a couple large sections of fabric covered cubicle walls that I switch the wall hangings around on to add a bit of color to our area (and I don’t have to bother with the hanging sleeve.)
The center of Too Tired to Give A Hoot is nearly complete – not a bad days’
work play. 🙂 He still needs his feet so he doesn’t fall off that tree branch and I may go back later and hand embroider the upper part of his eyes – like where the pupils would be but will wait to see when I’m all done if I want to do that. I’m also debating if I want to applique his feet or hand embroider those in too. Will have to see what colors of pearl cotton I have that might work for his feet. But in the meantime, I can square this up to size and then start thinking about borders.
I did make the most of one fabric – since it’s a challenge and I can’t add any more fabrics to the Short Stack and taupe I’m using. The light blue on the lower part of the eyes is really the reverse size of the blue print that makes up his eyelids.
Day two of vacation tomorrow will be spent at home again. The temps tomorrow – worse than today. Wind chill here is supposed to be 30 below but the actual temperature at my folks is supposed to be 27 below so I don’t even what to think of the wind chill there. It would just not be smart for them to be driving up here in weather like that so we’ll wait and see what Wednesday brings weatherwise.
In the meantime, I think a bit of knitting is in order.