Quilts from the Crate — No. 3 quilted

I pulled this quilt from the Crate, got it layered and quilted it this afternoon.  It will go in the MOH (Mission of Hope) pile — quilts that go to Battered Women and Children shelters.  This one I actually used the spray adhesive on too tho it’s a bit larger than ones I usually spray.  But not bad to work with if I use the design wall to do it.   Put the backing up on the design wall, spray it, smooth the batting in place, spray again, and smooth the top.  All out of spray now so I’ll have to resort to pin basting on the next one.  This one I did use poly batting in since I didn’t have any cotton left that was big enough and I can say, using the spray is on cotton is much easier than poly. The binding is attached – but still flipped backward onto the front of the quilt.  Tonight I’ll get it pinned in place and start stitching.  The binding was just some I had premade left over from another project since I was too lazy to cut new stuff for this one.  But with all the bright colors in the quilt – it will work.

I also was drawing up the July Year of Wallhanging design.  I decided to use some blocks similar to my frozen treats quilt I had been previously drawn.  So here’s your sneak peak so you can start planning what fabrics to use.  This is another one where scraps from your stash will come in handy.

 I haven’t decided which layout I like best but you could easily do either one since they both contain the same style blocks – just different numbers of them.  The salt water taffy blocks in the border definitely remind me of summer vacations – which seems to be the only time I really ate it – when we found it in some little touristy place along our travels.  I must confess tho, the fudgesicle in the upper corner is my favorite frozen treat and always has been.


Stashbusting report

Now a huge amount but 4 yards used this week – backing and bindings and sashing for another  project.   85 yards used YTD, 34.25 purchased for a net busted of 50.75.  At least I’m a head of the game, using more than I’ve purchased.  Hope to have slightly better numbers next weekend if I get the sewing done I plan to do this weekend.

On my quest to quilt the Quilts from the Crate , project #2 is done.  I can’t show you the center of this one yet — you’ll just have to wonder what it is for the time being. 🙂

 My sewing machine and it’s tension were cooperating nicely last night  when I was quilting it so I really like the way it turned out. I used a couple different threads – a King Tut variegated one in the long pointy triangles, Bottom Line yellow in the yellow pieces, and Prym-Dritz nylon in the rest with the Bottom line for the bobbin of all.  Of the various invisible threads I’ve used I really like the Prym-Dritz – its a softer feel and not as shiney as some when quilted and with the Bottom Line on the bobbin – no little peek throughs of the bobbin thread on the top.  I also forgot about how easy it is to get something quilted when you don’t have to remove pins as you go along.  I used Dritz Spray Adhesive to layer this one — works great and no odor or sticky residue as you’re quilting.  I’ve tried several spray adhesives but this is the best I’ve come across so far.

Got most of the cleaning in the kitchen and living room done yesterday except for some final dusting and sorting the knitting projects basket.  But today I’m taking the day off  “work”.  Spent the moring sitting on the patio sipping coffee and handstitching the binding on this wallhanging.  So now to pull out another top to layer.