“It” being the design I was search for in previous post, I promptly screwed it up! 😦 The first fabric I cut I cut all the pieces the size I had drawn them so no seam allowances on them. Drat and of course I only had the 1/2 yard of that fabric. So redrew the size of the blocks to fit what I had cut, took a dinner break for a while, and printed out all the new block info and will see if I can get it to work now.
Also in the meantime, since I needed the design wall to put the new blocks up on as I make them, I quickly stitched the blocks that were up there into a top and added the borders to it.
The top and bottom borders are different sections of a border stripe fabric because I hadn’t realized I had already used some of those stripe sections for something else so didn’t have enough of the same repeat to do all four sides. But it all worked and it’s in the charity quilt top pile to quilt. Found a great backing for it in the stash too. Here’s the completed top.
And here’s this morning’s breakfast – orange craisin scones. They are delicious.
For those who asked for the recipe – see below. Omit craisins and add chocolate chips for a yummy treat or a friend mentioned pecans and I think orange pecan would also be really good. Going to have to pick up some nuts next time I’m at the store to try them.
2-2/3 c flour, 1/3 c sugar, 2 tsp. baking power, 1/2 tsp salt. Mix all those together in a bowl.
Cut in 1/2 cup chilled butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
Take one orange and zest it – I took the zest off the whole thing just be sure not to go to deep with the grater so you don’t get the white bit just the very outer layer. Dump that into the flour mixture and mix around so it’s not all in a clump. Add about a cup (if you want them nice and fruity or chocolatey) of choc. chips or dried cranberries, nuts — whatever. (I just remembered I’ve got dried apricots in the cupboard so may have to try those next time).
Then squeeze the juice out of the orange into a separate bowl.
Now take two large eggs and dump them in a 1 cup measure cup and mix them up a bit. Then put 2 tablespoons milk in with them. Then add your orange juice into it. I didn’t use real exacting measurements – one time I used medium eggs, this time large, one time 3 TBL milk because I didn’t have enough orange juice — but what you want to end up with is the eggs in the 1 cup measure and then enough liquid (between the orange juice and the milk) to fill the rest of the 1 cup measure to the top.
Mix it in until just blended – it will be a rather sticky dough. Then I dump it out onto a sheet of wax paper (so I don’t have to clean up the counter). You may need to add a bit more flour if too sticky. You just sort of fold it over on itself a couple times (don’t knead too vigorously or they will get tough). Pat out into a large circle about an 1″ thick. I found a pizza cutter or a metal spatula works better than a knife to cut it into pieces by just sort of chopping down on it rather that trying to run a knife through from end to end. I cut it into squares – they are easier to separate and put on the pan than wedges. I used my baking stone so I didn’t have to grease it but if you are using a regular baking sheet – grease it first. Place pieces slightly apart on pan. Take one egg white and a tsp of water and mix together and brush on top of scones.
Bake at 425 degrees for about 20-23 minutes. Then try to wait for them to cool so you don’t burn your mouth or fingers before eating!
Now to see if I can get back to sewing and do it correctly this time!