Monthly Archives: August 2009
A full day of quilting
Well I’m on a roll. Now that I replaced my broken walking foot, it was time to get to some machine quilting this weekend. Yesterday I layered and quilted a large lap quilt along with a tiny wallhanging which is just a single Moon Over the Mountain block I had left over, and also my mini quilt wallhanging for a swap. All three now just need the binding hand sewn down.
The today, bright and early, I went looking for more projects to quilt. Pulled out the apron swap blocks I had sewn into a top not too long ago, along with some siggy blocks. The siggy blocks have had a rough life. They were from a quilt retreat in 2005 and when I originally pieced the blocks together I dumped coffee or soda on them but didn’t notice. So then there was set in “brown” splot to get out. Soaking didn’t help so I ended up washing them. Which of course sort of skewed things out of shape a bit. So it got put aside probably never to see the light of day again. However, today I pulled it out and steamed the dickins out of it and it didn’t look too bad. So added a border around the edges, black with tiny bright hearts on it, to sort of rein it all in to size and I think it will look okay in the end. It will hang on my sewing room wall as a reminder of that trip when it’s done.
Here it is so far.
And that poor little lone block on on the design wall. Well I found it as I was going through UFO boxes. It’s a left over block from a project from friend Judy’s Nine Patch Extravaganza book – I made one too many blocks – so I think it will be come “something”. Maybe the center for a little wallhanging or perhaps a pillow center. I have to go digging in the stash because I think I still have more fabrics from the quilt that block was from that I can use with it.
Three other applique blocks, which were supposed to be used in one project, I decided I’d like better as three separate little wallhangings. Those three blocks are now quilted and just need their binding hand stitched too. So while watching a movie tonight I’ll have seven projects to work on bindings for, so that should keep me busy for a little while.
So for the stashbusting report – with all that quilting going on only 3 yards used this week – the larger projects I had previously pieced the backings for and counted them already so backings for those single block wallhangings and bindings really didnt’ amount to much. But I was at the fabric store this weekend but didn’t buy fabric so that’s miraculous.
Used this week: 3 yds; used Y-T-D: 182; purchased Y-T-D: 131. Net: 51 yds.
Mini quilt madness
It’s a pair! and Design Wall Monday?
Week 34 stashbusting
Sewing – a whole day spent sewing – does it get any better than that? I was up at 6:30 and in the sewing room soon after that and now it’s 6:30 p.m. and I think I’m done for today. But I did finish the top I was working on.
It’s not exactly up on the design wall straight but it’s up there. I had to put it up sideways to get it to fit. I’ve got enough fabrics left so I can make a matching pillowcase to go with it (great for storing the quilt in when not in use) and it will probably be a graduation quilt next spring.
So that project definitely helped my numbers out since it all came from the stash. Hmm.. the design wall is empty – well except for all those loose threads stuck to it. Will have to go see what project needs to go up there next.
Used this week 6.5 (plus 3 yds I forgot to add in last wk) so total 9.5
Used year to date: 179
Purchased year to date: 139 .
Now there’s some barbequed ribs and sauerkraut that’s been slow roasting in the oven and it’s smelling awfully good so better go make the rest of dinner to go with it cause its making me hungry.
Tonight I hope to finish off the sock I’ve been working on – not many rows left – and get started on another one to match one of those lone socks I’ve got.
A little cookin and a little quiltin
Design Wall Monday
The two wineglass wallhangings were made for a swap at a quilt retreat in Texas a couple years ago and the Moon Over the Mountain block was also from a swap and is the most favorite out of all the ones I made – I love that background fabric – so I’m going to make a single little wallhanging out of that one. The border fabric/alternate blocks in the wineglass wallhangings has all kinds of wine implements on it – openers, corkscrews, corks. etc. Look for the wine glass EQ file to show up in the freebie downloads when I get a chance to load it. It’s a paperpieced pattern. Now on the design wall are these blocks. It’s just a strippy pattern I found in a quilt magazine I wanted to try – really quick and easy. The original pattern had strips of varying sizes but I had a jelly roll which worked out perfect for it. Needs sashing between those rows yet and thena couple borders added. Hmm. My electrical outlets are not at the top of the wall – I just noticed the photo is upside down. Oh well – doesn’t matter for the design. And the big news – I finally got to pick some ripe tomatoes tonight! Yellow pear tomatoes and one biggie. A few need to sit in the bowl a day or so and ripen just a bit more but the yellow ones are calling out to be put in a salad with mozarella and the big one is just calling out for a BLT I think … wonder if there’s any bacon in the freezer!
Week 32 Stashbusting Report
Well I finally did a little catch up on my stash busting report since I haven’t updated it since Week 29. So this report covers weeks 30-32.
Fabric purchased 17 yds
Fabric used 11 yds
Year to date purchased 164.25
Year to date used 131.
Hmmm. well it could always be worse. 🙂