Monthly Archives: July 2009
New EQ Project loaded
What’s on the Design wall?
Well I’ve fallen behind in posting this but here it is anyway. Last time I had about 100 6″ blocks up on the wall. Here’s what it looked like last time I posted it. There’s been a bit of work since then.
Here’s what it looks like today….
A few rounds have been added but I had to pull most of the other blocks off so I had room to work. I may have to put it up sideways so I can arrange the next round of blocks around and it decide which ones go where. I’ve got 2 more rounds of blocks to add with another HST border in between and the plain borders around them. Course it took a while to get to this point since I got my section switched and sewed two side sections in their opposite location. It wouldn’t have mattered but both sections had block with a one way design which of course ended up upside down. So ripped them back off, switched one other block around, and still ended up with a heart block that is hanging upside down! I’ll fix that later – it’s just applique so I can take it off and turn it around but I was not ripping one of those rows off again. This also caused the corner blocks to now be positioned the way I planned but I can live with that.
Stashbusting week 29
Now to get back to the quilt I’m working on. After a little brunch – the Blueberry Buckle has just come out of the oven and the coffee is on….. and the Pilgrim’s Bread I’m making should have risen enough to shape into loaves. It’s an intesting recipe with cornmeal, rye, wheat and white flour so I’m anxious to see how it turns out.
Today as usual was breakfast out followed by the grocery store run. But in between there was a trip to the quilt shop and lo and behold….. there was a sale going on! Talk about crowded. Now this is a quilt shop that only has a sale once or twice a year and I just happened to stop in on the last day. All fabric 15% off. So a tidy little bag – or not so little – came home with me. So much for stashbusting but I just couldn’t pass these up. I did actually buy fabric for a specific quilt – I needed 8 or so fabrics similar in shade for the design and there was nothing in the stash that would give me the look I wanted. But then there was this new Christmas fabric line – not the usual reds and greens –it was based on a really pretty shade of blue – so yep several pieces of than came home too.
It’s a dreary cool day here for mid July so think I’ll head to the sewing room to work on all those blocks up on the design wall and see how far I can get on setting those together.
I did finish off two socks last night — one I just had to weave the toe so and the other finsihed off the last couple of inches of knitting. How I have to make their mates. The socks look funny shaped in the photo because they have ribbed tops so the cuffs look like they are people with sticks for legs. 🙂 However they are very stretch as you can see in the photos with them on. Do you know it’s very difficult to be your own sock model? To get your foot at a good angle and get the camera at a good angle and try to get the photo is no easy feat (or should I say “feet”?) the reddish sock is true to color in the photo where there’s no foot in it. I really like the way these socks fit. The green striped is just a bit more snug than I would like for myself but since I made it for someone who’s foot is not quite as large as mine, it should be perfect.
Each time I make one I learn something new. This ribbed sock pattern had a different heel stitch than just the stockinette stitch the prior socks I made had and I like it much better – makes a thicker sort of heel area that I think should wear longer. And these two were the first ones where I wove the toe together and although the instructions were confusing when reading them, actually doing it, it all makes sense. It’s fun to see the difference just the little changes in pattern can make. I’ve started yet another sock – with a slightly different rib pattern and it also has you knit your casting on tail into the first row of the sock – makes the top a bit sturdier looking so will have to see how I like that when the sock is done — they are a lovely soft merino wool blend in dark purples/greens.