It has been a fairly lazy weekend so far. Yesterday the only real “chore” I did was to make a trip to the grocery store. I spent the better part of the day either on the computer downloading books for my Nook (I had assumed it would take a long time on dial up to download them but not bad at all so I finally got the books I had previously bought loaded) or knitting. Today – has started out the same – lazy. It’s a cold, damp, dreary, rainy day outside – the perfect sort of day to stay snuggled up and knitting. Got the toe of my sock woven shut, and was doing some playing in EQ – and it’s pratically lunch time so no wonder I’m hungry. Time to get dressed, clean the kitchen, do a bit of baking and laundry.
Here’s the Basket Weave Rib Sock I finsihed. Need to cast on it’s mate. The pattern gives it a nice texure on the leg and is easy to remember. As you can see, I stopped the pattern short – rather than continuing down the top of the foot with it. On many socks I stop the pattern stitch and make the majority of the foot plain because I don’t like the additional thickness on the foot the pattern stitch can make and it usually bugs my foot where the shoe rubs against it. Someone asked me how I know where to stop the pattern — nothing scientific about it. What works for me is I continue the pattern until all the heel gusset decreases have been finished – then I usually switch to all knit rows on the foot or sometimes continue a simple rib or spaced rib depending on what the pattern stitch was. When I have my shoes on, which are mostly clog/mule slip on type, the pattern extends just into the top of the shoe so you don’t see where I stopped the pattern — not that anyone is intently staring at my feet to make sure. LOL
I started on the Misty Meadow Shawl Mystery KAL (yep cause I had absolutely nothing else to work on) and here’s clue 1 finished. I joined this one after clue 1 and 2 had been released so I may just be able to get caught up before the end of the week when the next clue comes out since clue 2 looks fairly quick. Have I mentioned how much I hate having to weave in ends? That’s the down side of stripey shawls. Some you can carry the colors along and some not and this is one of those “some not” ones so lots of ends to bury as you go along. The EQ project I was playing with was just one that has been sitting in the files for a while. Many of the designs never become anything. Some when I go back and look at them later, I change things on and they become something totally different. They still may not ever be made into an actual quilt but that’s okay – playing with them is always fun. It’s also interesting to see where they started out and what they morphed into with a few line changes.
Climbing Roses was the original block I had sarted with. Few lines changes and spin the blocks around and I got version 2 – the diagonal design. Minor change, spin some more and you get the 3rd version. One of the really fun things about EQ is the Symmetry button – you can put in an asymetrical block into a quilt layout and then click Symmetry and it spins the blocks around into various layouts. I never would have come up with some of my designs without that little button. Enough playing for one day – my kitchen and making some bananna bread awaits.